November 8, 2020

Still, No Christmas Lights

Photo by Lisa Fotios from Pexels

Last Christmas
You were a gift to me
Now you're a memory
It weighs on my heart
I didn't know
No, I didn't know, baby
You wouldn't be here this year
Bickering
I couldn't get it right
The star on the tree 
It was never straight
Because of me

I can still hear your voice
Bossing me
Tell me what you want me to do
I'll do it tonight
Ow, tonight
I'll circle the tree
With the same red and gold garland
The same garland I complained about
Every year, cause I married a cheap man
Still no Christmas lights, baby
Cause you don't want the energy to be high
And with that precious thought
My eyes begin to cry
All I can think about is you and I

I'll dangle our cheap ornaments
Dangle them as I feel your presence
I can feel you filling the room
Ow baby, this time
I'll hang them, just right
Evenly, around our tree
Picturesque, 
For perfect people to see
I'll wrap the skirt around the base
Neatly

This time baby, my sweet baby
Your star will be placed so high
I'll get it right, this time
On this snow fallen night
In remembrance of you
You see, my love
Nothings changed
Still, no Christmas lights

Another poem to read: Dinner at the Diner

No comments: