April 1, 2024

Wicked Seniors

The wicked witch hid behind organized religion,
My hard work and consistent effort won me no awards,
It brought me no comforts to keep,
A family structure that felt like my institutional fate,
With seniors being the authority figures to obey,
To be seen and not heard, I formed no boundaries,
I was a servant.

Her ugliness surfaced when her children began to die,
Hocus Pocus!
Erased her son from her final will,
Hocus Pocus! She disappeared!
Vanished from her daughter’s funeral,
She hid behind being a Christian,
In plain sight,
She hid behind the Bible,
In plain sight!
That demon was always hiding, 
In plain freaking sight!

I remember really seeing her,
A broken little girl,
She was less than perfect,
But I had to be,
Perfection that honored her,
She was really into appearances.

She was always respected,
Trained me how to behave,
Seen, and silenced,
I was a child actress,
A puppet,
Not trained for the real world outside that family institution,
Not trained for the real world outside organized religion,
They left me for dead!

My mother was my god,
In fear, I worshipped her,
My grandmother was my god,
Out of respect, I worshipped her,
Until God finally showed me their ugly face!
Now, they can see my backside,
Seen, no longer silenced!

No comments: