August 3, 2020

Mr. Dapper

Photo by The Lazy Artist Gallery from Pexels

look at what I wanted / look at what I desired /
someone who would never show me his truth /
In love with the mystery of a man / he was so charming 
and handsome / had a presence / he would never go unseen /
a dapper gentleman / smelled of amber / myrrh
and testosterone / I was enamored / I was strung along 
on a budding love’s high / blinded by expectations / 
envisioned a desirable vision of love / enjoyed the joyride
like a sightseeing lift passing by evergreen / the scenic route
filled with all my imaginings / gassed up what we really were /
eyes glossed over in total admiration / in denial /
obsessed with my fantasy / being in his company /
I romanticized his every action / valued them more 
than the effort and thought he put into them / appreciated 
every moment of him / given to me / slowly I was 
lowered down to reality / down to common sense /
it picked at my subconscious / taunted me 
with where we would eventually be / off the high 
and thrill  / when all becomes familiar 
and I am no longer the spark and newness in his life / 
rumored to be a ladies man / why didn’t I think 
he’d do me the same way?

Another poem to read: Horse and Carriage

No comments: