August 18, 2020

The Streetlights

Streetlight - Photo by Casila

I don't know anything about love
But I like this boy
All the girls like him too
They have a better chance of him liking them back
I have to be in the house
When the streetlights come on
The streetlights be ruining my life

I don't know what I would say to him
All I know is that I hope I don't stutter
My stuttering problem is worse when I'm in a rush
I swear them lights be coming on early
The streetlights be ruining my life

I try to make everybody hang around my house
I can buy more time before I have to go inside
I think those other girls are catching on
Especially the one who's Momma is on drugs
She can stay outside all night
I swear the streetlights be ruining my life

Today, I swear he was paying me more attention
Them girls were so jealous
He let me ride on his bike
I really felt like I was his girl
Then my Momma called me inside
I swear, my Momma be ruining my life

Another poem to read: Kiss & Tell

No comments: