April 2, 2020

Flame

Photo by Mateusz Broniek from Pexels

My inner voice loops chatter of my thoughts of you, 
Like an alcoholic loops in their mind
The events that they haven’t healed from,
Justifying the need for a drink.
My hope is filled to the rim with what my heart really wants.
The night has fallen as I watch the shadows on the wall 
Waiting for your silhouette to arrive with the stark reality of what we’ve become.
It’s reminiscent of when I use to wait by the phone 
For you to confirm your desire for me.
I hang on to the elevated highs of our love, facing the dissipating lows 
In pursuit of keeping it one moment longer 
When the glow has dimmed on our love 
And still, it’s there glowing low in front of my penetrating stare,
I’m unable to blow out the flame.

Another poem to read: Don't Hang Up

No comments: